EPA Region 7 Administrator Karl Brooks is the keynote speaker for this statewide gathering of Sierra Club members and friends.
The conference will focus on developing membership activism and growth, planning future activities and campaigns, and learning more about the issues environmental activists in Kansas face.
This event is free to members and friends of the Sierra Club, but seating is limited and advanced registration is strongly urged.
Here is the agenda for the day, as well as information on how to register. (You don’t want to miss this special event!)
Sierra Club – Kansas Chapter
Fortieth Anniversary Conference:
‘Planning the Next Forty!’
A gathering of Sierra Club members, leaders, guests, and friends.
Saturday, March 8, 2014
8:30 a.m. – 4:15 p.m.
Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Topeka
4775 SW 21st Street, Topeka, Kansas
8:30 – 9:00 a.m. Continental breakfast & social time
9:00 a.m. Poetic Invocation:
Dr. Denise Low, Kansas Poet Laureate, 2007-2009
9:15 a.m. General Convocation
Pre-recorded greeting to the Kansas Chapter:
Michael Brune, Sierra Club Executive Director
State of the Kansas Chapter: Yvonne Cather, Chair
State of the Groups:
Craig Lubow, Kanza Group Chair
Stuart Bolt, Southwind Group Chair
Gary Anderson, Topeka Group Chair
Carol Barta, Flint Hills Group Chair
10:15 a.m. Comfort break
10:30 a.m. “Environmental Challenges in Kansas”
Legal & Water: Myrl Duncan, Professor of Environmental Law, Washburn University School of Law
Political / Legislative: Senator Marci Francisco, Kansas Senate, 2nd District
Water & Wildlife: Jim Mason, Kansas Natural Resource Council
Agriculture: Josh Svaty, Vice President, The Land Institute, and former Kansas Secretary of Agriculture
11:45 a.m. Communal luncheon
1:15 p.m. Keynote Address
Dr. Karl Brooks, Environmental Protection Agency, Region 7, Administrator
2:00 p.m. Membership Development and Outreach:
Panel discussion, moderated by Robert F. Sommer, Director of Development
• Committee Development & Recruiting ExCom members (Yvonne Cather, Chapter Chair)
• Introducing the New Kansas Chapter Website (Craig Wolfe)
• Developing Planet Kansas (writers / editorial / circulation) (Craig Wolfe)
• Planning Great Group General Meetings (Robert Sommer)
• Grants update and opportunities (Robert Sommer)
3:00 p.m. Comfort break
3:15 p.m. General Session on Committees & Activism:
Panel Presentation & Reports by Chapter & Group Committee Chairs
• Conservation: Craig Lubow & Duane Schrag, Conservation Co-Chairs
• Outings: Dave Kirkbride, Outings Chair
• Corporate Governance, Legal Action, & Divestment Activism: Yvonne Cather, Chapter Chair & Corporate Governance Chair
• Legislative / Political: Zack Pistora, Legislative Director
• Water / Air / CAFOs: Craig Volland, Air Quality & CAFO Chair
4:00-15 p.m. Musical Parting: Craig Wolfe / Soular
This is a free event for Sierra Club members and guests.
Seating is limited and advanced registration strongly urged.
To register, email Gary Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate lunch preference
(vegetarian, vegan, or non-vegetarian).