The Kanza Group is in need of volunteers for Earth Day celebrations and other Spring Green activities. The Sierra Club has numerous opportunities to meet the public and talk about the critical work we are doing to protect the Kansas environment. We have victories to celebrate and a lot more work to do! We’ll provide a tabling box with handouts and other materials promoting energy conservation/efficiency and renewable energy sources. New volunteers will get free on-the-job training and work with seasoned “tablers.”
It’s fun and gratifying to meet with the public and share your passion, even if you don’t consider yourself an expert. Check out the dates and locations below to find an event near you. You don’t have to be available for the whole event. If you are interested in helping or have questions, please contact Elaine Giessel at
- March 29, 9:00 am to 2:00 pm: Kansas City Food Circle 10th Annual Exhibition of Farmers at the Shawnee Civic Centre, 13817 Johnson Dr., Shawnee. Distribute our new “Let’s Curb our Fuelish Diet” brochure, meet local organic farmers, buy seedlings and sing along with eco-troubadour Stan Slaughter.
- April 12, 10:00 am to 3:00 pm: 8th Annual Prairie Village Earth Fair at Shawnee Mission East High School, 7500 Mission Road, Prairie Village. Lots of young people!
- April 12, 9:00 am to Noon: Overland Park Stream and Trail Clean-up at the Indian Creek tributary just east of Quivira. Meet at Oak Park on 106th and Bond and get muddy.
- April 18, 11:00 am to 1:00 pm: Earth Day Celebration at Sprint Campus, Town Square Courtyard, Leawood. Meet and greet Sprint employees with Sierra Club energy materials and our new handheld “Carbon Footprint” fans.
- April 19, 9:00 am to 2:30 pm: 12th Annual EarthWalk and EarthFest, ShawneeMissionPark; see related article in this newsletter.
- April 20, 8:00 am to 1:00 pm: Earth Day Celebration at The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection, 13720 Roe Avenue, Leawood. Preach our message!
- April 26, 8:00 am to noon: La Grande Bird Fiesta at ErnieMillerPark, 909 N. K-7 Hwy, Olathe, in conjunction with Outdoor Kansas Kids Day. Free family event with lots for kids to do. We’ll provide information on global warming. Enjoy a spring birding hike in the park with your kids. Bring a picnic.
- May 2, 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm: Kanza Group Silent Auction in the refurbished barn at the LenexaConferenceCenter, Lackman at College. This is our only annual fundraiser and we really need folks to help with the bar, the food, the decorations and the auction set-up/tear-down. We’ll start preparations around noon. Volunteers get free admission!
Elaine Giessel, Kanza Volunteer Coordinator